Since I've disabled non-admins from posting new blog entries, I thought it was safe to move the newLISP on Rockets Blog to the front page of newlisponrockets.com. Wow, that's a lot of saying newlisp on rockets. Did I mention my email was firstname.lastname@example.org?
newlisp on Rockets.
Muahahahaa! Mine is an evil laugh!
No, this is just a side-effect of getting user sign-in working. I have the only account, since I haven't done the Registration part yet.
The plan is that only I will be able to make new blog posts, but anybody who has registered will be able to comment on blog posts.
It's generally considered to be a bad idea to keep clear-text passwords in your database. If the database is ever compromised, hackers will have everyone's passwords.
What most sites do is hash the passwords using a one-way algorithm, like SHA1, which is a 160-bit encryption. Newlisp has a SHA1 function included in the module crypto.lsp.
Unfortunately, hackers these days use dictionary-based attacks, where they take every word in the dictionary (and many common password combinations that include numbers or years) and then just run them through SHA1 or the equivalent, and check to see if they match the compromised stored password hash.
To prevent this, people have been adding salt to the passwords and then encrypting THAT. Salt is just a random number. Each user gets its own Salt, which is stored in the user database. This way, attackers would have to run separate dictionary attacks for every user, and that's assuming they know the salting algorithm.
I found a great article on password security here: http://phpsec.org/articles/2005/password-hashing.html
It outlines the whole process and shows how to handle it in PHP. I'm building in the equivalent in Rockets using newLISP code, which will be part of the user sign in process.
After much soul-searching, I went ahead and implemented the delayed-write method I talked about in my earlier posts.
At first I tried to overload (print) and (println) and it worked but jumping in and out of different contexts made messed up my ($POST) functions, and I thought I'd simplify my life by just defining new functions: (display) and (displayln). Then at the end you (display-page). You can also (display-image) and (display-post-box). Kind of a theme going there.
Anyway, (set-cookie) now adds a cookie to the header that will get posted when the page itself is displayed. It seems to be working, so hopefully I can now work on getting user sign-in happening on the Rockets blog!
Yes. It was.
Thanks to Bootstrap's "reactive" ability, you'll notice it gets automatically reformatted and the menus work differently.
I think it's pretty neat.
Bootstrap is based on jQuery, which I use a lot and which will be fully integrated into Rockets.
Small and fast....
It's in there. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
I've been thinking about the Cookie Conundrum and I think it goes beyond just Cookies...
If I want to do a redirect on a page, as Dragonfly does with Response:redirect (something I use all the time) I have to set the headers to be a 302 Redirect. Again, these headers have to be sent before any other text is shown, so it has to be printed at the beginning.
I have changed the way Rockets works to use the Dragonfly model of just loading everything into a big global variable called STDOUT, then delaying printing until the end where you print the headers first and then STDOUT. Only I can't force the delay because there isn't a main program in charge of loading each page, so you have to remember to add the new function (display-page) at the end of your pages for it to work.
Hmm. Not sure about this. I'll think about it some more.